Let me start off by saying…you MUST make this Gluten Free Dairy Free Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn. MUST.
I haven’t done much in preparation for Halloween this year. Aside from stocking up on candy to hand out to the little ghouls and goblins, and keeping up with the latest Walking Dead episodes, I am not ready this year. Other years by now, I would have watched some of my fave Halloween/scary movies, like Sleepy Hollow, Rocky Horror Picture Show or Nightmare Before Christmas. Yes, I realize the last movie falls between Halloween and Christmas, but it gives me an excuse to watch it more often.
I had wanted to make some creepy cookies, or sinful cupcakes, but nope…no time. It seems I’ve been so busy prepping/testing a special cake I will be making in a few days, that Halloween just creeped up on me (eek!). Psst…follow me on Twitter to see the progress of this special cake!
That’s why this Gluten Free Dairy Free Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn is so perfect! It is so, so, easy to make! Bonus: you can even make it in advance as it keeps well in an airtight container for up to 1 week! The subtle ooey-gooey marshmallow flavour, creamy caramel crunch and light chocolate drizzle, make it a perfect movie snack!
If you can’t tell from these pictures just how awesome this popcorn is, let’s blame it on the photos…don’t be a popcorn hater. My camera chose to be the walking dead and I had to shoot these pics using my iPhone.
And if the pics weren’t spooky enough for you, here’s a little ghost indulging in the goods. It may look like he’s spitting them back out, but really he’s using his super ghostly powers to suck them in!
So before you sit down to indulge in a frightening flick, be sure to make a bowl of this super easy Gluten Free Dairy Free Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn. Pure deliciousness! Enjoy!
Happy Halloween everyone!
This easy to make Gluten Free Dairy Free Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn is simply irresistible! Perfect for movie night.
- 8 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup kernels)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy free buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- 8 large marshmallows, or about 32 mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life)
- 1 tbsp dairy free buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a large baking sheet (or two) with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place popped popcorn in large bowl or pot. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt sugar, spread and marshmallows. Once fully melted lower heat to low and let simmer for about 2 minutes, keeping a close eye on it to ensure it doesn't burn, and stir frequently. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over popcorn and toss to evenly coat - it will be sticky!
- Spread popcorn onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 1 hour (or so), stirring every 10 min or so.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in microwaveable bowl, melt chocolate chips and spread (about 40 seconds). Stir until smooth, returning to microwave if not fully melted. If you do not have a microwave, you can also melt the chocolate chips and spread over a double-boiler and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate over popcorn and let it harden before breaking into clusters.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week...if it lasts that long!